FROM A RECENT CLAYTON TRIBUNE ARTICLE:
Anyone visiting the City of Clayton cannot help but notice the two parks in the center of the city. The Rock House, which is the building in one of the parks, was built by president Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration and was opened to an excited public on June 13, 1935. It was called the Community House. Since then the building has been used for a multitude of activities such as the CCC, Clayton City clerk’s office, county extension office, and social events.
In 1993 the Mountain Ivy Garden Club was formed. Since then the Club has organized various activities and fundraisers including the annual Sidewalk Sale. The proceeds from these fundraisers are used for scholarships for students interested in horticulture, as well as to local charities such as the Boy Scouts and Habitat for Humanity. The garden club members have spent untold hours maintaining the garden, changing the look with the changing seasons. The members can attest to the fact that their work is appreciated throughout the year by visitors and residents alike. The Mountain Ivy Garden Club is a member of the Georgia Garden Club Association which supports various beautifying projects throughout the state.
Now club members are looking forward to participating in the celebration of the Rabun County Bicentennial Celebration so keep an eye on the Rock House Garden!
Susan White, Marlee Price, Bess Green, Ellen Barfield, Diane Mobley, Peggy Thrasher, Sandy Strong and Mary Cobb Stone hard at work on a garden work day!